Friday, January 8, 2010

Thoughts from a really weird wedding

Weird in the good sense. Weird is a high compliment here, as it makes you ONE OF US, to be weird. 

In no particular order, just the order they pop into my head: 

The girls (meant broadly since I'm not really a spring chicken) all got to wear whatever dress we wanted - as long as it was black and/or red. I loved how Bride phrased it "I want you all to look like YOU". We all felt comfortable and it made it such a neat assortment of outfits. Wellll, except one (just don't ask about the striped socks). And I must say that I wore 4 inch red satin stilettos, against direct medical advice but they were soooooo sexy I just couldn't not. But after 10 mins I gave up and switched into more sensible shoes. Maureen couldn't walk with her 4.5 inch shoes on the cobblestones and ended up going barefoot in her fishnets for the whole thing - pics, ceremony, reception. I forgot Offspring's shoes at the hotel, so he wore bright red snow boots with his fancy evening wear. Hey, it matched the theme: black, red, and weird. 

An elf crashed the reception. Really. A guy wearing a head to toe green and red elf costume (presumably on clearnace after christmas) with a blinking red light on his cap. Everyone assumed somebody else knew him. But it turns out, no one did. 

When asking the formality "If anyone here objects, please state your objections now", a guy jumped out of his seat and attacked Groom with a light sabre. More notably, Groom fought back. And won. There were also light sabers at the reception. Every guest got one, if you were under 5 feet tall, you got two (that was an on the fly rule). When they danced their first dance, the whole place spontaneously lit up their sabers and waved them, lighter style, during the dancing. *word*

I was the maid of honor. No one calls me a maid, and I certainly have no honor, but I was VERY honored to be the maid of honor. However, the down side was that the wedding ceremony was right in front of a huge roaring fire in a gorgeous fireplace and I was front and center in its path. OMG, I though I was going to melt. I surreptiously asked the other girls to scooch down so that my hair wouldn't pull a Michael Jackson Pepsi move, I had on so much hairspray it felt like a linebacker's helmet. 

During the ceremony, the bride and groom exchanged heartfelt vows (although barely heard through Bride's sniffling, geeez), after which there was an awkward pause where the officiant looked a bit like a deer caught in headlights. As we all started looking around trying to figure out what to do next, Daughter - now imagine her, in a gorgeous satin red frock, white faux-fur shawl, red hair bow - shouts "Now .... KISS!", waving her hands at them as if to say WELL DUH! After the laughter died down, they exchanged rings (that's the bit that was supposed to be after the vows that everyone seemed to forget) - then the officiant leaned over and stage whispered to Daughter "do it again". Daughter then proclaimed, loudly and with even more gusto, the kind that only Daughter can muster NOW KISS!!!

Someone made the cake. Like an actual person who attended the wedding, and it was a real cake, not a fancy pancy wedding cake that looks more like art than food. It was peanut butter and m&ms. How awesome is that?! And, Bride ensured I had gluten free food. She's the bestest. And the food was awesome, really really good. With an open bar, and as a driver, I made sure I ate ALOT of food. 

Groom and Bride have some cool friends. And I finally met a friend, whom I've known online for 10 years and only just now met face to face there for the first time. Ian was alright too. If he hadn't been, this friend and I would have ...... "lost" .... the groom and there would be no groovy photos and stories. And if he ever looks at her sideways for the rest of his life ... she and I will .... well, let's just keep that a surprise. In reality, Groom ROCKS way super much. Don't tell him tho, it'll go to his head. 

They actually got married Wed night at a tiny courthouse by a very cute, old, and prone to rambling about toothpaste, judge. Right after that, Groom freaked and had his wedding ring cut off his finger. No joke. Long story. But they're still married, you can swell up too big for the ring, but you're stuck with the girl forever. And the $15 ring we bought near midnight at walmart on new year's eve worked just fine for the ceremony. It'll make a great story for the grandkids someday. Hell, it was already funny as it was happening! 

Groom and Daughter had a daddy daughter dance, he held her and she put her head on his shoulder and they danced to Anti-Lullaby, a song he sings to her at night. I cried. It was just so beautiful and made me see immediately why Bride loves him so much. And right after the ceremony, Son said to Groom as we were going up the stairs to the reception "Now we're an official family now, right? OFFICIALLY?" and he said yes. They may be an unusual family but an amazing one. 

On the way home, it took us 90 mins to go the first 25 miles. I was very annoyed. The wiper fluid froze up in the thingies (the technical term is actually Thingie-Dingies 2.1 twin pack) and I had to use the posts of my ruby earrings to clear out the ice. Oh, and it only worked on one side after that. Not my side of course. 

There is a great place called Mama on the Half Shell in Baltimore that is awesome. We used the GPS to find seafood in Baltimore, and the first place I picked was closed. The second place was closed. We finally struck gold on the third try - it was fabulous. I tried oysters for the first time. I can't quite get the point of eating them since you just gulp them down like a tablet of tylenol. Wheeler says they put wood in your pencil. But I write with a pen!!

Congrats, Groom* and Bride, Son and Daughter. I love you ALL so very much. 


*as long as you stay on my good side.

No comments:

Post a Comment