Offspring got dressed at his dad's this morning. I got dressed here. As it turns out, we are both wearing an orange turtleneck, blue jeans, white socks, tennis shoes. The only difference is that my underwear does not have Spiderman on it. When he came home, we both looked at each other, down at ourselves and burst out laughing.
So yesterday Wheeler had an appointment with a new GI guy, who turned out to be an idiot too. However, after we both hammered away at his history of four perforated ulcers, his near death (not hyperbole) and the similarity of the symptoms then and now ... over and over and OVER again ... and more and less said we wouldn't settle for not having an endoscopy, he then told us straight out that he wasn't familiar with paraplegia and maybe his spinal cord doctor should treat his GI issues. Ummmmm, hello? The last time I checked, the stomach looks the same in a QUADriplegia and an ambulatory person. I cannot believe this dude is a licensed physician - not even knowing para from quad. Good grief.
Anyway, I think he finally realized that if Wheeler walked out of there then perfed last night, I would sue his ass off. After that seemed to dawn on him, and the fact that we were adamant about having an endo, he suddenly "remembered" that one of his colleagues had time on his schedule tomorrow morning (today). He implied that something had fallen through or that his schedule was free, but of course, the other guy had to squeeze him in, and to his credit, he did. So the endoscopy was scheduled for this AM and we had to be there at 6:30 am ..... torture for poor me. Of course, I couldn't get to sleep until about 1 am since since I had to get up at 5 am meant I had sleep-stage fright, and then I woke up about every 30 minutes freaked out that I missed the alarm and we'd missed the appt (that we fought so hard to get!). I set two alarms but I am notoriously alarm clock impaired, so my paranoia was not totally unfounded. I woke up 5 minutes before the alarms though and got up and got us both ready. Wearing the identical outfit as my son.
Although I have just put on my favorite pink cashmere sweater because its cold in here and I'm too cheap to turn up the heat. Trying to heat this house higher than 70 degrees is futile because the windows are so drafty. We need double paned windows, but they would be a significant expense right now that we can't afford at the moment. I am annoyed however to have found my favorite pink cashmere sweater has holes in it, presumably from moths, after being stored in the attic all summer without being inside of a bag of some sort. Drat. Oh well, I'll wear it anyway, I like it and its warm.
Anyway, back to the endoscopy. The doc was great. Not to mention hottttttt. Smokin' hot. However, he was wearing a gaudy thick gold necklace that says "I'm not from around here" despite his discernable absence of a Joysee accent. And guess what, he found not only evidence of ulcers, but other stuff too. He appears to have gastroparesis, abnormally slow stomach emptying. That can cause all of the symptoms he is having, but he also has quite significant irritation all throughout the stomach and esophagus. He biopsied all over, including doing a biopsy for celiac - without prompting, wow! no one ever thinks of celiac - and so we'll know the results of the biopsies in about a week. It may be a yeast infection, it may be bacterial, it may be a number of other things, and they all are bundled up together, so separating cause and effect may be difficult. However, I am sure this guy will figure it out. Thank heavens. We sure drew a crappy hand in the poker game of GI docs. We were dealt a better hand this time. Hmmm, I think that was a crappy analogy (so punny I am), but hey, I am operating on about 3 hours of sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment