Thursday, August 3, 2006

New computer - ugh

A new computer is a good thing, right? &#@*%)@!&%_7^@!!!! It is really, really, really super annoying to have a new computer. Here are the things one must do with a new computer before you can have even one iota of functionality:

  • Figure out how to turn the damn thing on (3 mins)
  • Find the power cord to plug it in because of course the battery comes flat dead (2 mins)
  • Find the discs for all your nifty new programs, read the tiny, tiny little numbers to be able to launch ANY program. This step requires your 5 year old son to read the numbers to you because you are old and cannot read that small anymore. Grrrr. As if I needed to reminded how old I am getting. (19 mins)
  • Register all said products on 32 different websites, hoping that you unchecked all the boxes that say "I accept 412 spam emails a day on new updates!!". (32 mins)
  • Give computer to Small Boy to examine as it is a source of great curiousity. (10 seconds)
  • Allow Small Boy to play pinball for awhile as that is the only program that actually works without needing any installing. This is an evil plot to suck in young users. (15 mins)
  • Wrest new computer back from Small Boy (7 mins)
  • Set up your email accounts (18 mins per account, and never did get my work email set up)
  • Keep clicking NO to the hundreds of windows that pop up asking you to update this that and the other. Why does a NEW computer straight out of the box need updates anyway? This is an extension of the evil plot.
  • Go for a soda and walk around to calm down from computer agggravation (45 mins)
This is where I am. I love my new computer. I love my new computer!
So, we went back to Dr. Ear today and got good news and bad. The good news is the same as before: his hearing has definitely improved. However, the bad news is that he still has some loss, conductive hearing loss. This is the type of hearing that is conducted through the bones in your head, nasal cavitiy, ears. They don't know why, but it is likely related to the bizzaro inner ear structure they saw during his marathon surgery. But otherwise all is well. The eardrum is intact, and most importantly: HE CAN SWIM AGAIN! We are going to a "class" at a toy store to learn about colors (ha, a class = scam to buy toys: his father signed him up for this). After that, we are going to the swimming pool, woo-hoo!

The other day, Small Boy's dad said that Small Boy actually cried, as in real tears and sniffles, that the Canes season is over! Yup, I think Wheeler converted him for life. He will rival our Canadian pal one of these days as the world's biggest Hurricanes fan. Every night he makes a hockey shrine (he calls it a hockey fort) to sleep in. It's very cute. :)
Wheeler's woes are near an end; his infections are all getting better and his pressure sore is nearly healed. So soon we should be back to regular life.
I'm sure I have other things to say, it's been several days since I posted, but I don't remember anything else. I'm having post-traumatic-new-computer-disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment