Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Ho ho ho, merry Christmas 2007

Merry Christmas!


Here is the giant mistletoe growing in our front yard tree.


When the big day arrived yesterday, we kicked into high gear. We had our 3-decade (really) tradition and had soups at my parent's house. Then we went to church, and on the way home from church, Offspring saw Santa!!! It was overcast and cloudy, but there was a huge bright big moon that lit up the sky. As a result, Offspring suddenly spied Rudolph's nose bright against the sky. He went bonkers, absolutely nuts - he screamed to my dad "GRAMPA!!! DRIVE FASTER GRAMPA!! SPEEEEEEEEED! I DON'T CARE IF YOU GET A TICKET, SPEED GRAMPA, SPEED!!!!". He almost launched himself out of the window of the car despite being buckled into a car seat. When we got to the driveway of the house, he burst out of the car and flew into the house where Santa had brought all of us some amazing gifts.

First, Santa brought Offspring his much (much!!) coveted Lego Mars Mission Command base.


Next, Santa-blogauthors-parents brought Wheeler a Panasonic 42 inch plasma 1080p television (<-- Wheeler had to feed me this information, its just a really cool TV to me). Its freakin' awesome. He has been talking about getting one of these TVs for months and months and months. It had actually been making me nutso, 'cause as far as I'm concerned, two HD televisions were just fine. Particularly since the one in the living room is turned on every few months at best. But he ha been going on and on- blah blah blah blah blah about a new TV. In fact, we were at Sears a couple of days ago and he spent the entire time in the TV section. I browsed everything else in the store, sheets, knick knacks, kids clothes, appliances, even tools!, bored to tears when I returned to find him still drooling over the televisions. Well, now those days are over because we have a (insert above) television in our bedroom. And I have to admit that he was right, it is freakin' awesome.

But perhaps the most exciting event of the day was the present that Santa brought early to Wheeler. As-seen-on-Tv-but-not-available-in-stores ....

a broken arm!!


Yes, you heard that right, a broken arm - for the low, low price of FREE!, delivered straight to your bedroom. Never before available, but in a special offering only for quadriplegics with weak bones due to 20 years of non-weight-bearing activity.

Yup, a broken arm.

Wheeler was being ranged, which is to say, stretched around so that his muscles stay supple and flexible since he can't do it himself. The person who was ranging him had his arm stretched over his head when suddenly there was a very loud CRACK! She came out to fetch me to check it out. I came in and it was crunchy and crackling when moving it around. And the arm had already started swelling. Within 30 minutes his upper arm was swelled such that it looked like a softball under his skin. So, now he is in a sling and gulgping ibuprofen. And I can't figure out how to get him up because I can't roll him side to side to get his pants on since I would roll him right onto that arm. What was it I was saying about drawing the short stick in life?!! In the spirit of our usual you-gotta-laugh-or-you'll-cry we know refer to this event as "The Christmas Crack".

Despite that, we had a great, great Christmas. I got brave and we made a gingerbread house. I used gluten free flour and damn if it wasn't good. As in actually good, not just a reasonable facsimile of something good.



Even Dog got into the spirit of the holiday ...

No comments:

Post a Comment