it can't get any worse, it does.
I have been in a huge amount of pain for the last 5 days - my foot seemed to be getting better at first, but then a few days ago, I was walking on it - stupidly, without my boot and without crutches - and heard a pop. And felt it. Tried dealing with it but called my surgeon this AM and he squeezed me in today. I have a Jones fracture now, on top of the stress fracture (even though it happened acutely, its just what its called based on the placement of the break). So, big cast boot up to my knee, cannot cannot cannot take it off, crutches 100% of the time with zero weight bearing for a minimum of 4 weeks. MRI this week to see how damaged it is as xrays are a rough guide, especially as I clearly have tendon and ligament damage too.
After 4 weeks, if it hstarts to heal, great, continued crutches and cast for several weeks and then heavy duty rehab. But the odds are only 50/50 that it will heal. "Non-union", or not healing at all, is very common - and probably higher odds in me because I am not a young strong athlete. Most of these injuries happen to young strong athletes. If it doesn't heal, then I'm under the knife for a pin, with real cast and no weight bearing for 6 more weeks, then limited with crutches for 4-8 weeks and several months of even more heavy duty rehab.
I am numb. I don't even know where to start. I guess I do, I called some friends. It will all work out somehow, for what other choice is there after all?
No comments:
Post a Comment