Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mom Mom Mom Mom Mom Mom!!!!!!!!

I have been sitting out on the back porch for several hours. Offspring and Best Friend were out in the field playing some sort of ball game. I went in to get something from the bedroom when I heard approaching the house, then in the house:

MOM!MOM!MOM!MOM!MOM!MOM!MOM!MOM!!!!!!!

Alarmed, I ran out to find out what was the matter and I saw his face - plastered with the biggest grin and full of excitement, his eyes wide open:


MOM!!! IT'S THE ICE CREAM TRUCK MOMTHE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!!!! QUICK!!! WE NEED SOME MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never have cash on me (because I tend to spend it if I have it), so I rummaged about until I found Offspring's piggy bank, which is actually a jar that is painted with a pumpkin for Halloween, and dug out $3 worth of quarters. He kept saying hurry, hurry, hurry, hurry mom!!!jumping from foot to foot. I assured him that between a) Best Friend standing out there holding the truck and b) the man seeing me - a mother being held hostage to the sounds of the ice cream truck - on the steps digging out m0ney, that the truck would not leave, that the ice cream truck man is a savvy salesperson and would never leave such a sweet situation.

After I handed him the quarters, he sprinted as if his life depended on it back out to the field where Best Friend was looking back like "HURRY UP DUDE!" and they both got popsicles. They were tres pleased with themselves and ate them with a substantial amount of glee. 

Offspring has never actually bought ice cream from an ice cream truckbecause they freak me out, but I decided (apparently in the heat of the moment) that it would be ok to purchase a sealed confectionary item while they were both in plain sight. And now I'll let him in the future because he was SO excited, in the way that only an 8 year old can be excited. I told him to go throw away the stick when he washed his hands, but he said "no, mom - I'm going to keep this stick forever. It is my first ice-cream-truck-ice-cream EVER!" with the hugest most happy look on his face. 

I love my kid. He makes my world happy. 

But now I owe him $3.

No comments:

Post a Comment