It's been a long time since I auditioned for anything. Since high school in fact. Which I won't put how many years ago that was to protect the innocent. But last night I auditioned to be in this interesting show called Listen To Your Mother Show. From their website:
A national series of live readings by local writers in celebration of Mothers Day. Born of the creative work of mothers who publish online, each production is directed, produced and performed by local communities, for local communities.
We’re casting a show of about twelve readers whose pieces will fit together in some kind of flow. Some will be funny, some sad, some both. But we have no preconceived notions going into auditions, no slots to fill or boxes we’re looking to check. The best thing you can do is show us what Deb Rox calls “the incredible youness of you.”
Bring in something that you love, something that you feel strongly about, something that you want people to hear said. Bring in the story that only you can tell. Even if you’re talking about something about motherhood that’s totally universal (like sleep deprivation?), find a way to make it uniquely yours.
My piece was Rabbit Autopsy, written when Offspring was 6 years old*. It is certainly only a story I can tell, and indeed shows the incredible (me-ness) of (me). I have a free styling, non traditional form of parenting and this story is emblematic of that approach.
To get into the show, I first had to submit my piece in writing for selection to audition verbally. I made it past the first hurdle and was asked to audition verbally. The audition was last night. It was held in the home of one of the organizers, and I made sure that I got there very early - I was 45 minutes early because I was afraid I'd get lost on the way there and I certainly didn't want to miss my big chance to be the next Garrison Keiller.
I sat in the car, watching other auditioning women stream in and out of the house. I read my piece out loud about 4 times, after which I got rather sick of hearing myself talk. I had brought my Kindle, so I sat and read my Kindle, trying not to get nervous. At the appointed hour, I went into the house and awaited my turn in the laundry room turned green room. And let me tell you, this was the greatest laundry room in the history of laundry rooms. It was HUGE and doubled as a sewing room. I was green (in the green room, ha) with envy.
One of the woman came down to get me at exactly 8 pm, my audition time. We made a little small talk and then I read my piece. It was over before I knew it and then I left. I honestly don't think that I did very well - I think that I was nervous and that it showed. But I did my best and that's all I can do. So we'll see if I make it into the show. That would be uber cool but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. They said that at this point they are trying to make a show that flows together well, less judging what is good, so who knows if I'll make it in.
But I can bet you any amount of money that I'm the only mom that talked about an animal autopsy!
*he is now 12, I don't really know how that happened.
It was awesome to meet you, and I'm so glad to have found your blog now!
ReplyDelete12? You mean they grow up? Nooooooooooo!