Wheeler has a urinary tract infection that is resistant to every single oral antibiotic out there, and to every single IM/IV abx as well, all except one (called Invanz for the curious). But it has to be given as an injection and so the choice was to go to the doctor's office every day for 10 days (with it being unclear what we would do over the weekends for injections) or I could do the injections at home myself. Given that our copay for a specialist is $70 PER visit (we have sucky insurance), and that the insurance company absolutely requires that the doctor's office charge it, that would have been $700 out of pocket for us just to have the injections done by their office. .... Uh, I don't think so. So we decided - as we have done before - to do the injections at home.
Problem: I am anaphylatically allergic to penicillin. And this drug cross reacts in 50% of people with pcn allergies. Solution: send an email to our 700 member neighborhood email list to see if anyone with medical training would be willing to give him the injections here at home for 10 days. Within 15 minutes, I had an offer to help - hooray! A retired plastic surgeon who lives a few blocks over comes over every day to administer his injection. Its a real pain though because it comes in powder form in a vial, and has to be reconstituted with vicious lidocaine. So you have to draw up 3.2 mL of lidocaine, inject the lidocaine in the powder vial, shake it like crazy for a couple of minutes (it is very difficult to dissolve), draw it up into the syringe, change needles (since its no longer very sharp from being poked into two vials), then inject him. Just in case I get exposed though, we have an "adult allergy emergency kit" prominently on the kitchen counter: EpiPen, prednisone, benadryl, zantac (little known allergy rescue, as an H2 inhibitor it suppresses allergic reactions), albuterol, and strict instructions to call 911 if I start wheezing or if my tongue swells.
Also part of the solution is that I have to treat Wheeler as if he is biohazardous waste. 38% of the drug is excreted in urine unchanged, and 10% in, lets call it 'other ways', so I can't do his personal care at all. I have been getting him up in his chair and back in bed, but anything involving more personal care, Uncle Air Force has to do. This means that he had to stay here last weekend and next weekend since the 10 days is straddling two weekends, which he is very unhappy about. He said "thanks for all the advance warning" .... AS IF SOMEHOW WE COULD HAVE PLANNED THIS?!?!? That makes me nuts. "hello yes? I'd like to plan an infection for next month... yes, let's say the 5th, and let's plan for a drug that she can't handle for 10 days, and make it only straddle one weekend please .... yes, thank you, we'll be sure to be ready for the infection". AS IF?!?!?! Grrrrr. I get pissed when people get pissed at ME for things I can't control.
Anyway, let's hope for the best. And in the meantime, I had two claims for my foot go through and both were denied because I am "not a plan member". WHAT? So now I have to call them and get it all figured out and assure them that yes, we do pay $617 a month faithfully for me to have their shitty insurance so please PAY my doctor's bill. Argh....






No comments:
Post a Comment