Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My son, budding thespian

Offspring has a love-hate relationship with school. He hates being there, he loves not being there. I honestly have no clue how to deal with this as I was a people-pleasing-straight-A-even-in-kindergarten kind of kid. My brother was the one who hated school (and we all know how badly he turned out, so maybe I should quit worrying about Offspring). But today was different. A few days ago he started telling me that he COULD NOT BE ABSENT Wed. When I asked why, it was because last week they were assigned in small groups* to write a play then act it out in front of the class today. He was in a group of all boys, and all boys who love Star Wars more than pizza and Wii combined. Of course, they chose to act out Star Wars. Not just Star Wars, but Star Wars the Clone Wars Episode 7, Part B, right before the commercial, you know that part where they fight Bahzoomba the Bad Guy. Approximately. 

He has been jumping up and down all week in excitement over it. He has been practicing at home every night, he made 3 light sabers to use in the play, and has been generally over the moon about it. He leapt out of bed this morning and gleefully informed me that today was THE day!!!!! Mom, I totally can't be absent!!!! So totally, like, don't take my tempenture (another adorable mispronounciation I can't bring myself to correct him on) because I could be 128 degrees and I'm totally GOING! Like totally dude, when did I raise a child who says 'totally', like, totally every 3rd sentence? I dutifully did not take his tempenture, and all the way to school he hummed the Star Wars theme really loud, over and over again. He was bouncing up and down in his seat, waving his paper light saber about and rehearsing his lines. He was R2D2. My kid imitating R2D2 is quite funny. I had to stifle my laugh because he doesn't understand the I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at how cute you are thing. He'll understand when he has an offspring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment