Today we went to Garrison Keiller's live broadcast of Prairie Home Companion. We went because Offspring heard about it and really wanted to go - he brought it up to me on his own, I hadn't even heard about it. I agreed we should go. When we got there it was really crowded. But since it was just the two of us, we threaded our way through the crowd and squeezed our way in right on the main aisle (albeit it in the back).
Before the formal show started, the vaunted Mr. Keillor and one of the singers on the show strolled up the aisle, singing a song - and walked right past us!
The broadcast was so much fun to watch. You know when you listen to it on the radio that its all done by voice, but its another thing entirely to watch it all being done. We were really far back, so we couldn't see too well, but well enough to see there was nothing but two guys, a woman, Garrison and a few props making all the sounds and voicing. Offspring sat in his chair completely enthralled for the entire two hours straight, didn't move a single muscle the whole time. If you've listened to Prairie Home Companion, you know that it is folksy, down home dry humor. And it has folk and bluegrass music.
It is a 100% old time radio show, just like the ones back in the 30s and 40s. And you know what? My kid loves old time radio shows. He loves Prairie Home Companion. He also listens to and loves Click and Clack the Tappett Brothers ("Car Talk" on NPR), and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell me", also on NPR. (yes, of course I am raising him on a steady diet of liberal elite media such as NPR). And he knows almost all the answers to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me too! I have the coolest kid on the planet. He loves OLD TIME RADIO SHOWS! And he's flippin' eleven years old. How did I get this lucky? I have to say it again: I have the coolest kid ON THE PLANET.

Could be cuz he has the coolest Mom! I really admire you
ReplyDelete