Friday, November 25, 2011

Social justice

Offspring, the other day as we were walking to the park, starting talking about social justice.  Only he didn't know it was social justice.

"If I was in charge of the world, the very first thing that I would do is totally get rid of money.  Money just messes everything up.  But when I told my dad that he said that no one would go to work then, but I think that at least EMS would volunteer.  I mean, they are nice, they save lives and stuff.  So I think that would be ok.  Then I would ban war.  If anyone disagreed, they'd have to settle it by playing rock paper scissors.  And I'd also make it so everyone had to pay the same amount of attention everywhere".

What do you mean by that? I asked.

"You know, like some neighborhoods - like ours - are really REALLY nice with trees and brushes and clean playgrounds, but other places aren't.  Like, they would all have to be the same amount of nice instead it being so unfair.  And then back to that job thing, about money, EMS would volunteer, but everyone else could barter.  Like someone might fix your car if you designed a clinical trial for them mom". 

Well, it was a good idea up to that point ...  I'm not sure I know any mechanics who need a clinical trial designed ... but with a few degrees of separation it might actually work.  He went on with all the other ways that he would change the world, and dammit I can't remember all of them because its been a few days since the conversation but it all boiled down tot essentially leveling the playing field so that everyone has an equal shot at a good life.  That everyone has the same basic slate to start from and that you aren't disadvantaged just because of who you are or where you live or your lack of money, status or immigration status.  I was proud of him - and I'm proud of me for raising a child who has come to believe in social justice.

He may be naive right now about how the world works, but maybe if more of us were a bit more idealistic in our thinking, the world might change for the better.  Just a little at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment