Bailiff: All rise, the Honorable Judge Let-Me-Out is
approaching the bench. Court is now in
session.
Judge: Please sit.
(pause as the gallery all sits)
Judge: Wheeler LastName, please rise for the reading of the
charges.
Wheeler: Ummmmmm…….
Judge: Oh. Errr, never mind.
It says here that you have been arrested for an intractable urinary
tract infection, sepsis and a Stage 3 pressure sore. Are you guilty or not guilty of these grave offenses?
Wheeler: I’m afraid that I am fully guilty, your honor.
Judge: It is my understanding that you have been in Rex
Lockup for 9 days serving time awaiting your sentencing. Today I will hear your statement so that I
may render the most appropriate sentence.
Wheeler: Judge, I am an upstanding citizen. Wait, scratch that. I am a down-sitting citizen. I have truly
suffered while here in Rex Lockup and have learned from my medical mishaps. To that end, I have been prodded, scanned,
x-rayed, MRIed, palpated, the pressure sore on my butt has been roto-rooted, I
have been turned every two hours round the clock, I’ve had my blood pressure
taken every 4 hours, I’ve had antibiotics hung every 8 hours and none of these ever
seem to coincide with each other. I have been stuck like a pin cushion every
day while here, sometimes multiple times a day.
Despite all of this, I have displayed an excellent attitude through all
of these indignities, which I believe you should consider in your
sentencing. Furthermore, I desperately miss
my own bed, the ability to use my computer, lights, fan and being able to drink
water independently from my cup at home.
And I miss sleeping next to our dogs who are too in lockup at the vet. I long for my wife’s excellent home cooking as
compared to the fairly tasty, but now becoming monotonous Rex Lockup food. Lastly, my wife is a caregiver extraordinaire
– who can perform minor brain surgery among other feats because it is
considered “custodial care” by our insurance company – so she can surely handle
management of the PICC line and antibiotics once released – should you choose
to release me.
Judge: Well, those are certainly excellent points Mr.
Harris. My ruling is as follows: You are
to be released, conditional upon negative blood cultures through Monday
morning, to the custody of your wife at your home. You will be on home arrest however, for 4
weeks during which time you must fully comply with vancomycin treatment. After home arrest is completed, you will be
on parole until your pressure sore is healed and you will be unable to be in
your wheelchair during this period of parole. Please don’t let me regret this
sentence. Don’t come back here anytime
soon!!
Wheeler: Thank you Your
Honor!!!!
Blogauthor: (high fives Wheeler’s head)
No comments:
Post a Comment