Sunday, February 22, 2015

Tipping the bathroom lady

Back before all this hospital excitement happened, I was on my way to LA and passed through the Charlotte airport.  In the Charlotte airport, the bathrooms are staffed by nice ladies who hand you towels, put mints out in a jar, and make sure things stay 100% tidy in there. They also prominently have a tip jar on the counter. When I was there, there was one lonely $1 bill in the jar but this lady was SO cheerful, polite and had a wonderful smile on her face for everyone who came and left. So I left $5. She clearly noticed shortly after I left because she literally chased me down the terminal and said "Honey, God bless you!! I sure hope you have safe travels and god bless you and your whole family. Thank you so much sweetheart". 

You know what? That $5 meant nothing to me in the grand scheme of things. Who doesn't spend $5 on a Starbucks fancy drink, right? And some people might be annoyed at the implied request for a tip in a public restroom. But that lady was so genuine and it pleased me to give that to her and I expected no thanks in return - I was thanking HER.

It made an otherwise typically stressful traveling day better. I love moments like that. Humans connecting on a human level.

No comments:

Post a Comment